Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where can I get a copy of the State Property Incident Report (SBI-78) form?

    From the main page, click on FORMS. An electronic copy (PDF) of the SBI-78 form located under the download section.

  • What is the police department's non-emergency number?


  • How can I obtain a copy of a police report?

    From the main page, click on FORMS, then click on Request an Online Report (Criminal, Non-Criminal or Traffic) then follow the instructions provided.

  • Where is the police department located?

    2610 Wolf Village Way, Raleigh NC on the corner of Wolf Village Way and Varsity Drive.

  • How do I file an online report?

    From the main page, click on FORMS, then click on "Online Crime Reporting" then follow the instructions provided.

  • Who could I contact about a concern with the police department?

    From the main page, click FORMS. In the forms section you will find a link for Express Your Comments, Concerns or Praise About the University's Police Service. The form can be filled out and submitted online. You can also call the department's non-emergency number 919-515-3000 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Someone will connect you with a supervisor that will assist you with any concerns you may have.

  • How do I apply for special event coverage?

    From the main page, click on FORMS. In the forms section you will find a link for Special Events Request and Consultation. The form can be filled out and submitted online.

  • What is the procedure for getting property back that was located or seized by the University Police Department?

    You must make contact with our Criminal Investigations Division and set up an appointment to receive your property back. The appointment must be between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. The Criminal Investigative Division can be reached through our non-emergency number at 919-515-3000. To view a list of found property the department is currently holding view the following link.

  • What kind of weapons are allowed on campus?

    Under North Carolina General Statute 14-269.2, it shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any gun, rifle, pistol, other firearm, dynamite cartridge, bomb, grenade, mine, powerful explosive, BB gun, stun gun, air rifle, air pistol, bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slungshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, metallic knuckles, razors, razor blades (except solely for personal shaving), fireworks, or any sharp-pointed or edged instrument except instructional supplies, unaltered nail files and clips and tools used solely for preparation of food, instruction, and maintenance, on educational property.

    You may carry pepper spray on campus, but it may only be carried and use for self-defense. Please check with NC State University Police Department for information and guidelines for carrying pepper spray as well as training sessions on the proper way to carry and use pepper spray.

    Weapons of any kind (including pepper-spray) are not permitted in Carter-Finley Stadium or other athletic venues. You will be asked to return them to your vehicle or they will be confiscated if you attempt to enter the event with them.

  • If I have a Concealed Carry Permit, can I still carry a weapon on campus?

    No. However, effective October 1, 2013, a person with a valid Concelaed Carry Permit may store their handgun inside a closed container in their locked vehicle while it is parked in a University owned parking lot. Otherwise, possession of any firearm carried/possessed on University property, whether open or concealed is still a violation of North Carolina General Statute 14-269.2.

  • Is storing a gun in my residence hall room or office permitted?

    No. Despite these areas being generally considered private and not open to the general public, possession or storage of any firearm or other weapon is still prohibited under North Carolina General Statute 14-269.2.

  • Who can participate in the R.A.D. class and when is it offered?

    Any female affiliated with the University may attend the class. You may bring guests that are not affiliated with the University but we ask you let us know in advance so we will know how many participants for the class.

    The R.A.D self defense class is offered throughout the year. Once you have an idea of when you would like to participate in the class, we ask you to call and let us know so we can work around your schedule. We prefer to have at least 8 participants to schedule a class. Typically the R.A.D class is held 2 nights a week for 2 weeks and consist of about 3 hours each class. For example, the first week being on Tuesday and Thursday 6pm-9pm and the second week being on Tuesday and Thursday 6pm-9pm. Please call for more information.

  • Do the University Police enforce traffic laws on and off campus?

    University Police do enforce NC traffic laws on campus. Typically we do not patrol off campus for traffic offenses but NC State University Police Department does have Extended Jurisdiction with City Of Raleigh Police Department.

  • If it is daylight but I am afraid to walk alone, can I request a safety escort?

    There are exigent circumstances that allow for a safety escort during the hours of daylight. Typically, the Safety Escort service runs between the hours of 10 PM and 4 AM, however we have had patrol officers conduct a safety escort for specific reasons during the day. If you feel the need for a safety escort during daylight hours, please contact University Police to make a request with information on the reason for the exceptional safety escort. It is the responsibility of University Police to investigate any reasons for individuals feeling unsafe on campus.