Citizen's Police Academy
The goal of the Citizen’s Police Academy is to give the students, faculty, and staff of NC State University the opportunity to get to know members of the police department, gain a better understanding of law enforcement practices, and see how police officers interact with the community.
Participants will learn about and participate in classes and activities that include the following areas:
- Traffic Enforcement
- Domestic Violence Investigations
- Criminal Investigations
- Firearms Familiarization Training
- Crime Prevention
- Internal Affairs Investigations
- Emergency Communications
The academy includes practical exercises that give the student the chance to perform traffic stops, take action to stop a heated domestic dispute, and fire real guns carried by the Officers of the NCSU Police Department in a controlled environment.
The academy is free, but class size is limited. It is preferred that the class be made up of an equal number of students and faculty/staff, but class distribution may vary depending on the make-up of the application pool.
The Citizen’s Police Academy is currently a Spring Semester event. Details on the latest Citizen’s Police Academy will be posted below.
2015 Citizen's Police Academy
Dates: February 17, 2015 – April 14, 2015 (Every Tuesday, excluding March 10, 2015)
Times: 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must be a member of the NCSU community.
- Must be willing to submit to a background check.
- Must be willing to commit to most of the 8 training days (Note: The Firearms Training portion of the Academy will be divided into two dates. Both dates are mandatory if you wish to participate at the Firing Range).
If you meet the above requirements and wish to apply, please download the application below. Once you have completed the application, it can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must be turned in by January 30, 2015.
If you have any questions you may email or call the Crime Prevention Unit at 919-515-5963.